Monday, April 20, 2009

Wedding of a local boy..

Another opportunity to attend a wedding knocked at my door last night.. Ali invited me to his cousin's wedding... In fact, Ali mentioned to me about the wedding more than two weeks ago. I did not really think it would materialise as we never talked about it until yesterday morning. Then he reminded me about the wedding in the morning... As usual, I jumped at the opportunity.

I never wanted to miss the traditional sword dance again.. I missed the dance at the last wedding, remember? It was the wedding at The Diplomatic Club.. I was quite unlucky to miss it last time.

For this wedding, I took along my not-so-new camera. At first, I thought I would be bringing only my 50mm lens as I did not want to be seen as official cameraman for the wedding.. Honestly, I did not want to intimidate the official cameraman.. hehe.. Ali insisted that I must bring the camera with 24-70mm lens (I am sorry Kerel, I really need to mention about my lens. I am proud of it..hehe) for me take shots of the wedding..

Funny enough, I met the videoman from the wedding at The Diplomatic Club.. He recognised me! He still remembered my compact Canon A70 PowerShot I brought to the last wedding. He was trying to tell me that I came with small camera then. Now, I came with this huge camera. He spoke to me in Arabic. Rather unfortunate that I could not speak Arabic. I knew what he was trying to tell because he kept pointing at my camera... Ali was also next to me to be the translator..

It was the 1st time I tried to take photos of a wedding. I was nervous, obviously. I had to take 20 min crash course from Asings The Guru. As I was not sure of the venue, it made it harder. I had 50% chance of getting it right. It could be either in a hall or tent. As I was not sure what to expect, I had to borrow Kerel's speedlight. So, my crash course revolved around the use of speedlight SB900 ie the angle, the camera set up etc. After all the crash course, I just tawakkal..

For the wedding last night, I was not particularly alone. I meant, I was not the only one without thob unlike in my last experience where I was a complete stranger in the middle of the tent.. There were few guests came with office attire. I was fine.. That alone took a big load of my shoulder. The job for the night came 50% lighter...

The wedding went well. The guests congratulated the groom, took photo together for the memory.. Then came the most waited moment for me for the night-the sword dance... Apparently, they took few minutes rest in between the dances. I realised that the swords were actually heavy. Now I knew why the twins were sweating after each dance.. I stayed till the end of the wedding. The event after the wedding was also interesting. It was more of a send off event for the groom with few cars performed some kind of stunt with loud screeching sound. It was very loud with smoke & smell of burning tyres filled up the air..I reckoned it caused a massive traffic jam as well.. hehe

3 comments:

asinqs said...

overall picture is ok.. but still have a lot to improved in terms of composition and settings.. got some pictures over expose.. from 10 i give u 5.. :lol:

Anonymous said...

Our standard as qualified accountant, 5 is fail...

Unknown said...

haha.. Luckily I did not sit 4 ACCA exam..Sifu aku pun tak segan2 nak belasah at no mercy.. hehe